Sunday, March 20, 2016

Connor Nelson
3/20/16
Santos/Smith
A Doll's House

In act one of "A Doll's House" by Henrik Ibsen, we have learned so much about the characters introduced. We've learned that Nora isn't as innocent as she may seem to be. In the beginning, Nora seemed like this innocent girl who has no secrets from anyone, or at least not any serious ones. She is married to Torvald. He believes that he is the only one in the family that is supporting them. What he doesn't know, is the big secret that Nora has been keeping from him ever since they moved to help him from becoming too sick. Nora goes on to tell her good old friend Ms. Linde. The secret that she has been keeping from Torvald is that it wasn't her father who payed for the trip for the both of them, but it was actually her who worked to pay off the trip the entire time. Also, she forged her fathers signature. Nora says this, showing how she feels about telling Torvald her secret. "How painful and humiliating it would be for Torvald...to know that he owed me anything! It would upset our mutual relations altogether."(Ibsen) Torvald believes that it should not be the women who are supporting the household/family, but it should always be the men who do so. If Torvald ever found out it was Nora who had been supporting them and the trip, who knows how he would react/what he would do. After telling people who are closest with her, obviously besides Torvald, they all agreed that she should tell Torvald about her secret. Although, after considering that she should not tell him for the sake of their relationship, she decided to hold back and not tell Torvald, atleast not yet. Soon, I think he would have to find out. I don't understand how Nora could do such a thing behind his back. She would do this work in the room right beside Torvald's and he has never even suspected she was doing such a thing. Also, after all the people she has told, one of them could possibly slip up and accidentally tell Torvald. You never know. 

7 comments:

  1. I feel that Nora sees her secret as something quaint or something to show off until Krogstad comes to threaten her with it. When she tells Mrs. Linde about the loan, she is very proud and self assured, but towards the end of Act I, she gets paranoid. She probably was entertained by the fact that she could keep a secret from Torvald, because it felt rebellious but also justified. Her entire perspective is changed at the end of Act I when she realizes that her actions have consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I believe she did not find her actions to be so harsh even though she knows she must not tell anyone. In my own opinion I love the dominance in her own life that she allows herself to have the ability to even act as a man. I believe for the marriages sake I'd keep it a secret as well. Also, i completely agree that after telling so many people her secret someone may slip up and tell Torvald. Though out this entire event i as well thought, how can someone do such a thing behind their significant other's back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, why did Nora tell so many people about her secret? Especially since it could ruin her relationship with her husband, and even disrupt her entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ms. Santos, I commented on James, Nadia, Josue and williams blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what do you think will happen between nora and torvald after torvald finds out what happens?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the fate of their marriage going to be?

    ReplyDelete